Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Shuri Castle


Today was fun because Kaylyn took me out to do some touristy things. We went to Shuri Castle and then to a street similar to China towns in the US. To get to the castle, we parked at a mall with only extremely high-end stores (it was fun to walk through) and took the monorail. It was nice to see all the buildings below as we rode the train; the castle is up on a big hill.




The statue is a shisa dog, which protect the building. There are always two of them and they are everywhere. One keeps evil spirits out and the other keeps good spirits in.
The castle! It is the only one in Okinawa to have been rebuilt. They were all pretty much destroyed in WWII.



Inside: (We had to take off our shoes and carry them with us in plastic bags)
The tutami room


An outside garden


The Emperor's throne

Bamboo window blinds

What the castle would have looked like a long time ago

A little garden outside the castle

A shisa dog water faucet in the bathroom. I'm telling you, they are everywhere!

Okay, I'll have to post the rest of my day tomorrow. There's a lot to say, and I'm tired!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

All of your posts are wonderful. I am so glad you are being so diligent with blogging because everything you are experiencing is SO amazing!