Thursday, June 19, 2008

Snorkeling, Shopping, and Shuji

On Wednesday, I slept in a little bit and then got up to get ready to try snorkeling at the sea wall again. Thankfully, the sun was shining and even though the wind was blowing, the waves weren't too rough. The snorkeling was great! The coral is actually alive here and we saw tons of brightly colored fish. The only thing that creeped me out a bit was a bright yellow and black sea snake that I saw several feet right below me. It was moving fast, but away from me...good thing! My snorkeling experience now feels complete!

Since Kaylyn's not a big fan of the water, John took me out while she studied and read at a nearby coffee shop. We met her there for lunch and had delicious shrimp and avocado sandwiches. When John went back to work, Kaylyn took me to the base to shower and then we went off to do more shopping. Actually, it ended up being just a lot of looking, but I did buy a few things, including a swimsuit! The fashion style is quite different here; the women wear very long dress-like flowy tops with pants underneath. I like it, but have tried on several tops and they're just a little too different. Some of them have so much material, they make me feel like I'm pregnant! Anyway, I'm happy with the swimsuit I found.

After we picked the girls up from school, I walked with them to Shuji, their Japanese calligraphy class. It's one of the many after school activities that Japanese children are involved in. It was fun to watch. The girls practiced on two characters the entire time and they each gave me their best one. It means "big sky".

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Shrimp and avocado sandwich? Sounds interesting...I might have tried it :P