Monday, April 21, 2008

What was I thinking?!

I'm a little embarrassed to tell this story, but it's a pretty good one, so here it goes...
Last weekend, I went to an activity at a gymnastic's center with some of my friends from church. I was really excited about it because it's been so long since I've jumped around on a trampoline, balanced on a balance beam, swung from uneven bars, etc. Anyway, within the first 10 minutes of being there, I tried a backflip on the trampoline (I used to do them all the time) and didn't quite make it all the way around. To avoid landing on the top of my head, I cocked my head back and landed on my face, scraping my lip, chin, and bridge of my nose. I hopped right up, but after about 15-20 min., I had to sit down because my neck hurt so badly. I don't think I'd ever been in so much pain! A few minutes later, this guy who happened to be a paramedic came over and started asking me all these questions. The next thing I knew, I was laying on my back with tears streaming down my face and tons of people surrounding me (one of those situations everyone dreads being in). To make a long story short, I got a blessing, decided I was fine, and had my friend drive me and my car home. By Monday, my neck was still really bothering me, so I made a doctor's appt. for that afternoon. The doctor asked me a bunch of questions, had some x-rays taken, said I was probably fine, and sent me on my way. On Tuesday, I got a call from someone in the office who told me that I had a small fracture in one of my vertabrae and did something to a ligament! He said I needed to make an appointment with a spine specialist and would likely need some physical therapy and to adjust my lifestyle! So, after 29 years of never breaking a bone, I can now literally say that I broke my neck....unbelievable!
I wasn't able to schedule an appt. until Friday, so I spent the rest of the week working and wondering what I had really done to myself. Thankfully, I went in Friday and the doctor said that besides the pain, my strengh and range of motion were good. Apparently, the fracture is not even a crack, just a small chip. So, no physical therapy, no brace (thank goodness...I can't imagine how my students would react!), just heat/cold, pain killers, living my life the way I normally do, and massages (can't complain about that one!)
So, that's my story. I'm still in a lot of pain, but it gets progressively better each day. I am so thankful that it wasn't anything worse and am so glad that I have such good friends looking out for me. I'm so blessed!

6 comments:

Jen said...

Holy cow, Beth!! I'm so glad you are OK. Thanks for sharing it, too. That's good reading material! I really hope your pain goes away and things get back to normal for you very soon.

Stephanie said...

Woohoo! Beth is finally starting to live it up! And I guess "live it up" means trying to do fun things and getting hurt doing them. I'm SO sorry you hurt yourself! I hope those pain killers are doing their job!

LinnieBell said...

silly beth! a broken neck...that's just what you need right now! :)

Porter Family said...

Beth!! Quit hurting yourself to get attention! One question-was the paramedic cute? Was he single? Did you get his phone number? Okay, three questions. If you need any PT stuff for your neck, let me know. I have a whole notebook chock full of stuff. Hope you feel better soon! I'm glad it wasn't worse.

The Pollei Family said...

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. If it makes you feel any better, I threw up on a first date once---all over the green at a golf course. Talk about embarrassing!:)

Rufener Family said...

Really do you need to ask?! You can not just leave that open to a person like me! ;) What were you thinking? Well, I am not really sure about what you were thinking about? I would also like to hear about the peramedic! We need to talk sometime! Hope you are feeling better now!